Tsinghua-Santander World Challenges of 21st Century Program is an international interdisciplinary innovation competition and workshop that brings together young people who aspire to make real impacts on truly important issues that we are facing today. Organized jointly by Tsinghua University and Banco Santander in collaboration with Intel Corporation, this program encourages students from across the world to form a team and propose visionary, innovative and unusual solutions to challenges in sustainable development of the city. Teams standing out in these lection phase are also invited to turn their ideas into reality in a hands-on manner at Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
2017 competition is themed “Innovation makes the world better – urban sustainability”, to address topics in areas such as urban life, education, environmental protection, climate change, energy, health, and sustainable development. Participants are encouraged to develop innovative products and services prototypes, including Internet and mobile technologies, wearable computing, cloud computing, and other open source software and hardware.
· Inspire and help young people grow as future leaders.
· Establish a cross-field and cross-cultural international network on social innovation.
· Attract public attention to the new trend of social innovation.
· Increase social impact influence and innovation capability in addressing global challenges.
Participation is open to postgraduate and senior undergraduate students enrolled at a university. This includes in particular the following faculties: product design, industry design, IT, engineer, art and any interdisciplinary studies departments related.
Entries should be submitted by teams. The team should be composed by two to four members. All team members must comply with the conditions of participation.
Participants are invited to form a team with two to four members, define the challenge they would like to find solution to* and submit their initial proposals and videos online.
Judging begins on 26 March 2016. Six to eight teams will be selected as finalists, to further develop their proposals and products in Beijing.
Finalists complete their products** during a 10-day workshop at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, and eventually pitch their ideas and products to the jury in the forms of exhibition and presentation.
* We place great value on the process of problem exploring, so feel free to use interviews, observations or any other field research methods you would like to define the challenge. We hope your solution is the answer to real-world challenges facing the city.
** This should be a functional prototype (including hardware and software) to demonstrate the product’s functionalities.
Kickoff + ice breaking
Campus Tour + iCenter + x-lab
Design thinking Workshop
Open Source Tech
UX + Service Design
Tours of central Beijing
Open Source Tech
Road show + Expo
TUITION AND FEE
Scholarships will be provided for the teams which enter the 10 days workshop at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China.
The scholarship covers the following:
- Airfare fee
- Tuition fee
- Housing (on-campus accommodation for international students for two-week period, mainly en-suite single rooms)
- Basic accident insurance for two-week period in Beijing